Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: Pronunciation question

Steaphan MacRisnidh <[log in to unmask]>

Scottish Gaelic Language beginners forum <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:15:18 +0000

All I know is that there is certainly differing
pronunciations with words like "danamh" which can be
pronunced "dee-a-nuv" or "dee-a-noo" depending on
which Scottish dialect it is. Sure your examples will
be the same maybe?

 --- Kevin Riley <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
Looking ahead in TYG, I came on the pronunciation of
> -adh as 'agh'. I came
> across a guide somewhere some time ago that said
> -adh was pronounced as -.
> As that is true also in northern Irish, I assumed it
> was correct. Is there
> similar variety in Gaelic as in Irish [-a, -amh,
> -ag, -ach, -], or did I
> just misunderstand [misremember?]? I am fascinated
> with dialect
> differences, so I don't mind how long or detailed
> the reply is :)
>
> Kevin riley
>
> Want to signoff for a while?
> Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to

=====

Thig croch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh cel is gaol.

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]