Subject: Urban Street Literature
From: Caroline Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:55:31 +0000

Hi All

I am starting to formulate an idea for a book/feature that I am currently
calling 'Urban Street Literature'.

The idea has partly come out of a book I have written called 'Tart Card'
which is about the illicit advertising art left in London phone boxes by
prostitutes. I figured that other cities around the world must also have
their own particular brand of street literature.

So as London has tart cards, Paris has Marabout  thousands of colourful
little bits of paper are distributed daily which are printed in clunky
French advertising the services of North African soothsayers and
faith-healers for exorcism, fortune-telling, charms for business and cures
for impotence!

In Jerusalem they have death notices pinned to the walls around the city
announcing the death of a loved one and giving times/place of the funeral.
(this is unique to orthodox cities in Israel, it does not happen in the
liberal Jews centres)

And in Delhi and Bombay loads and loads of paper notices are slapped one on
top of the other advertising computer courses, politics or the cinema. Over
years the layers of paper gets so thick it virtually creates new walls.

Anyway, you get the idea of what I am looking for.  I am trying to get
together 10-15 cities that have their own particular brand of street
literature, and was hoping that some of you on the list might help.

Yours, optomistically

Caroline Archer

Caroline Archer
5 The Scholars, Ladys Close, Watford, Hertfordshire WD18 0RW
Telephone 01923 447578, Mobile 07769 720901

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger