Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: aor versus glam
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Oct 2003 04:24:11 +0100

Messe scríbas:

>> This question came up when we were talking about the Second Battle
>> of Moytura.  Both ai/r (a/er  or aor) and gla/m are defined as 'satire'
>> in the DIL.  What was the difference between them?>>

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:40:41 -0700, Dennis King scríbas:

>Are there specific lines from CMT that you have in mind, Liz?>>

    Go raibh maith agat as an eolas, Dennis.
         I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have the original text and we
are looking at Elizabeth Gray's English translation from this site:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/cmt/cmteng.htm.
    Is the Irish language original available on the web anyplace?

Here is the line:
    115. "Not hard to say," said Coirpre. "I will make a glam dicenn
against them, and I will satirize them and shame them so that through the
spell of my art they will offer no resistance to warriors."   Liz