Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Cànan nan Gaidheal
From: Deborah White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:07:16 -0700

Fhionnghal 's a Ruairidh,

That was my point about exceptions to the *rule* (in my previous message,
which may not have made it to the list yet). Yes, generally gen. plurals
have a broad ending, but this appears to be an exception, as does the other
example I cited ('S an Dųn-bheagain nan seķid...").

Now don't the exceptions make Gaelic all the more interesting? :-)

On a similar note.... I was directed to a Web site the other day on which
there were sound samples of Islay Gaelic. "Madainn mhath" was pronounced
"Metch-in Vay"! (Something closer to Irish -- but not quite!)

G.

> is it not likely to be the spelling of Feinn itself.
> Fiann is 'a' Fingalian [singular] and Feinn plural
> in the genetive, particularly with words where the internal spelling changes
> in the plural, with the last vvowel becoming narrow, surely it should read:
> "gus an cluinn sinn ann Cānan nam Fiann".
>
> In the genetive plural isn't it always desireable that the final vowel is
> broad - except in 'daoine' which breaks the rule
>
> just a thought
> Fionnghal
>
> Might the question be the "ann"? I've always wondered why it didn't say
> " .. gus an cluinn sinn an cānan nam Feinn"
>
> Ruairidh

Distant Oaks
Celtic & Early Music
http://www.distantoaks.com
http://www.northernwindrecordings.com

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]