Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: word question - tidsear

Tom Thomson <[log in to unmask]>

Scottish Gaelic Language beginners forum <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:53:41 +0100

> 'Teagasgair' has a stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables
> which makes it difficult to accommodate easily in speech patterns - never
> mind a line of verse. (Nua-bhàrdachd doesn't have to worry about such
> trifling considerations which is why most of it is impossible to set to a
> traditional tune!)

I don't think it's a prticularly unmusical word, and it fits easily into a
line of verse if you pick the right metre.

Just to prove that there is at least one traditional metre into which it
fits
quite nicely, here are a couple of lines of verse which could easily be sung
to the tune of Nighean an Tuairneir:-

O dh'fhag mi mo theagasgair, dh'fhag mi mo thidsear
  is dh'fhag mi 'm fear cruaidh 'bhiodh 'gam fheannadh le deuchainn;
O'n d'fhag mi 's ann seunail bidh mise's cho cridheil
  ri smeorach air geug is i 'seinn a ciuil gleusda.

Rotten doggerel (I'm a lousey poet anyway) but it does demonstrate that a
stressed syllable followed by two unstressed ones is rather a natural rythm.

Micheal

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]