Subject: Re: Whitman
From: Randal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:24:52 -0400

At 8:49 AM -0400 8/13/03, Kent Lew wrote:
>Again, sorry for the lengthy and slightly academic tome. I hope it
>has proved at least somewhat interesting to some on the list.

Thanks much for the very interesting elucidation. I doubt that it
could be done better.

I have long been fascinated with Dwiggins (having first discovered
him when I was 12 and interested in marionettes) and wouldn't put it
past him to develop a theory from his work on puppets. He certainly
put enough work in on them. I know that his great desire was to find
a form of modernism which wasn't saddled with all the troublesome
theory associated with European design. I had previously compared ITC
typefaces to 70's woodwork, and I don't think it is unproductive to
compare Dwiggins type designs with his beautiful wordworking style.

By the way, if you are interested in his geometric designs, he very
conscientiously gave one copy of almost every little privately
published book he made (many with editions of only 20-30 copies) to
the New York Public Library. I have spent many an hour looking at
these in the rare books room.

-- Randal