Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Quick Question
From: Lois/Ted Macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:43:32 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bates" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 4:13 PM
Subject: Quick Question

> Okay i'm going through some dialog here.. and I got.. beag means small..
>
> per: Tha e beag!
>
> But why does it change when the person replies in the dialog?
>
> ie:  Tha. Tha e gle` bheag ach tha e math.
>
> Where did the H come from is this because the person who said it is
> female?  I'm still trying to figure this out..

The word "glè" means very, and it is one of those words that cause lenition
in the following adjective. Other examples from Aonad 2: "tha i fuar", but
"tha i glè fhuar";  "a bheil e snog?" , but "tha e glè shnog."

> And (if you are following alog Anoad 2, pg 23), why do they say: Tha e
> gle`.  Would that mean He is small?  Or does the "Tha e" pretty much run
> together to make It is.. I'm guessing litterally translated Tha e ... is
> He is, but loosely it's It is, where It is male.. correct?
>
> Just trying to Understand.

See above, and refer to the box at the bottom of p. 23. It contains
translations for most of the phrases in the unit. The same is true for every
unit, and the translations follow in the same order as the Gaelic phrases
appear in the Còmhradh.

Eideard

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]