Subject: Swanson's work compared favorably to that of Lubalin
From: Phil Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:54:00 -0400

Hello List. Phil Martin with you now. There is something I need to tell.
    At least a few of you know I do a twice-weekly newsletter circulated
widely enough to validate my claim of covering all 27 time zones. Often
I run a typeface prize contest. Object: give away a couple of sets of
fonts, while promoting widely the sale of my designs.
    Whether wise or just lucky, I selected Gunnar Swanson as illustrator
of my "NotesfromPhil."
    Now comes in an email from one of my readers:
"From what I have seen so far I have to say that Gunnar Swanson's work
reminds me of some of the stuff that used to come out of the great Herb
Lubalin.
Lubalin's mind was like an artesian well of creative ideas, most simple and
to the
point and all heads above the field. Watching Herb communicate his idea with
a rough pencil sketch on a sheet of newspaper in seconds after a meeting was
an unbelievable experience. I get the feeling Gunnar is in the same class.
I love everything I have seen of his work.--Don Hase, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
   Who is Hase? Former president, Alphatype Corporation. He fought in the
trenches of the typeface wars, warding off the scores of designers begging
him to
market their typefaces. Not just your average reader is Don.
    Coming next is my Introspect contest. There will follow my Polonaise
contest.
At that point I am out of typeface product. You see, I never had that many
of my own designs in my font library.
    Will my sponsor, URW++ in Hamburg, supply me additional product of
my own designs? Here is recent word from them:
    "Hello Phil, we do like your work, i.e. your font designs, and I really
enjoy
your stories and contests. We are glad that you are back to full strength
and,
please, keep going!"
    Later requests for fonts have gone unanswered.
    Peter Rosenfeld, I need some fonts soon. Swanson, the latter-day
Lubalin, likes to have them in his hands early-on to cogitate over and
seek inspiration. Let's don't balk him when he is just starting to
hit his stride.
www.mm2000s.net
Over and out--PM