Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Tochmarc Ferbe (was: maelgai)
From: Kathy McCormack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:24:36 -0700

I've been busy at work and am just getting around to reading
some old posts.

Charles wrote:

> In tres buiden dana .i. in buiden i m-bai Mani fodein.
> Coica ech dergdond seta sithméti inti, 7 coica ech find n-ói-derg,
> it é scuaplebra iarna rusiud i corcair uile, .i. a scópa 7 a monga.
> Sréin delinecha friu, .i. bolga dergóir isindara liniu 7 bolga
> airgit oengil isin líne aile.  Belgi óir 7 argit friu uile.  Maelchircul
> óir co clucinib fo bragit cech eich díb.
>
> "In three bold bands, so Mani will be in a fitting group. Fifty slender,
> gentle, red-brown horses, & fifty pale, wool-red horses, and their
> tails flowing behind them, all purple and red, both manes and tails.
> double-stranded reins on them, and red-gold bosses on the second
> strand, but bright, silver bosses on the other.  Balls of gold and silver
> on them all. Bare rings of gold covered with tiny bells under the throat
> of each horse."

I came up with a translation that differs a bit in parts:

"The third bold troop, i.e., the troop in which Mani was.
Fifty red-brown horses, graceful and especially long, and
fifty red-eared white horses, behind them long, flowing [tails]
dyed crimson/purple, i.e., their manes and tails.  Two-lined reins
on them, red-gold balls (or bosses-anyone know about
medieval tack?) on one and pure silver balls on the other.  Bits
of gold and silver on all.  A [broken? open?] ring of gold with
tiny bells under the throat of each horse."

Here's why I thought this:
- fodein: I couldn't find this-another verb for "was"?
- sithméti:  sith- = long, mé(i)t = size, quantity
- n-ói-derg:  ói = ear (dat.sg.).  I'm not quite sure why this should be
dative-an understood preposition?  If this is the correct
meaning, is this (dat. = [noun]ed) a pattern?
- scuaplebra:  scúapaid = to sweep, waft + lebar = long, flowing,
supple?  Is "tail" understood as a matter of basic equine anatomy?
- rusuid:  ruisid = redden, stain red (The DIL quotes this line from TF.)
What form of the verb would this be?
- belgi:  I couldn't find this anywhere, so I looked at the German
translation, which gives "Gebisse," which would be "belbach"
in the singular.  Declined like "tossach" to give "belgi" as nom. pl.?

David?  Dennis?

> The DIL lists some interesting examples, first:  caeco ech finn ...
> ruissi hi ccorccuir huili a scuabo 7 a mungo from IT ii (a) 191.56,
> is obviously a variant of our own text and second:
> maelland arggait co cluciniu óir fo brágit cech eich
> from the Táin Bó Fraich is so close to our text that, either one
> copied the other, or these are stock phrases that were part of
> a professional poet's repertoire.  Are the two stories by the same
> author?  Are they contemporary with each other?

I can't answer your questions about the authorship of this story and
of TBF; perhaps someone else on the list can.

> maelland must mean a "bare plate", or possibly a rounded plate.
> Tochmarc Ferbe has a maelchircul, a "bare circle".  I think that the
> sense of these words bears upon the sense of maelgai.

I picture "maelland" as something like a disk with the top edge
flattened or even rounded inward, so that the rounded part hangs
down over the horse's upper chest.  Perhaps as protection or as
a ceremonial reminder of a protective plate?  Would someone
familiar with weapons, armor, or horse gear of this period care to
comment?

If a "maelchircul" is a circle or ring, the "mael" part could refer to
the part that would have to be removed or left open so that it could
be placed around the horse's neck.

--Kathy