Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Phonological Question
From: Joshua Nimocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:27:58 -0400

I am new to the mailing list and, obviously, not fluent in Gaelic.

My question is, what is the Gaelic phonological consensus on nasal
assimilation in the case of 'mn' - my interest stems from assessing
whether or not a link exists between an earlier Scottish variant of my
surname - 'Nemoch' - and the place name of Nemnach in County Meath.
Obviously, such a link would require the possibility of 'mn' sounding as
just "m" (either before or after the immigration to Scotland) - I am
told the reverse is usually the case (an 'n' sound).

Thanks,
Josh

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]