Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Drone construction technique - Quinn Article
From: "Kelly, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:46:40 -0500

After reading the DM Quinn Article:
http://www.pipersgathering.org/Irish%20Uilleann%20Pipes/Uilleann%20Pipemakin
g/uilleann_pipemaking.htm

I have the following questions which I was hoping members of this list could
shed some light on my understanding:

1) The article states in the Taylor Drones Part 3 section:
"While I admire the idea of putting so much bore length into one piece of
wood, I believe that fitting metal tenons into wooden sockets was not a good
idea, as these two examples and many others, have shown. My own approach to
sidestepping this issue is to place the metal tuning tenon into a Delrin
plug in such a way as to align with the third stretch of the bore of the
shuttle joint. The reed tenon is also turned from a length of Delrin rod,
its bore passing through a plug so that it lines up with the first stretch.
The inboard and outboard Delrin plugs are held in place with cylindrical
metal ferrules which fit over the ends of the shuttle joint."
I don't understand how this is done.  How does the Delrin, wood and the
metal come together to acheive the goal of preventing surrounding wood with
over metal without any ill effects?
2) In the second paragraph after "Figure 3 Bass Drone Underjoint", What is
meant by the "outboard end"
3) In the fifth paragraph of the "Taylor Drones, Part 3", what part of the
bass drone has the three bores that ultimately create a shorter bass drone
(the underjoint)?  Does this bore go from the drone reed end seat beginning
as one bore, then splitting into three bores then becoming one bore again by
way of the metal tube that extends out of the wood part?
How is this design different than a standard bass drone bore?
I have a Quinn set of drones and the bass drone underjoint is sealed in a
brass tube but is wood underneath?  Does anyone know if David uses this
three bore technique on his old bass drones sets from the 1970's?  I assume
without this 3 bore technique that the bass drone would be alot longer or
have to be made for the single bore to double back on itself twice.  Is this
what the Ray Sloan bass drone does?
http://www.ray-sloan.com/uilleann.html

Thanks for listening to me......"drone on".

Thanks.
            Tom Kelly

This transmission is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.