Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Re: Tim Britton Writes to List Pt. II
From: Dionys Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:27:02 -0800

Kevin,

Tim may like tougher reeds than most, but that's
pretty unimportant when it comes to his reeds or
reed-making style.  His method can create reeds in any
person's particular need in terms of ease of playing.
I made a Britton style reed blind(i.e. without
seeing/measuring his chanter or fiddling about) for a
friend of mine and he recently told me that not only
does he love it, but that it is much better than the
original reed in his chanter (made by the maker) at
least partly because of how easily and delicately it
plays.  As for Tim preferring a certain pressure, as a
performer it's his perrogative to choose the stiffness
of his reed.  Considering how well he performs, I
wouldn't fault him for his choice.

As to the rumours regarding Tim tooling around
'classic' chanters, perhaps those would be better
addressed person-to-person off list so as to not
perpetuate the rumours.  One could point out that
Paddy Keenan admits freely to mucking about with his
Rowsome chanter which apparently is comming up for
sale (I will believe it when I see the actual offer
for bids).  He also admits that he did this before he
had a really good idea of what he was doing.  All in
all, I'm a fan of the timbre of Paddy's chanter.  As
for adding a tuning slide to an old chanter, this is
hardly an irreversible 'modification.'

Obviously you don't care what Tim says, or you'd give
him a chance to explain himself or address your
concerns before warning everyone in the mailing list
to not send him any 'antiques.'  Personally, I'm not
sure I'd want to listen to someone who wasn't willing
to listen to others.  You're welcome to your opinion,
of course.  Thankfully everyone is able to make up
their own minds in these matters.

Dionys

=====