Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Re: Seamus Ennis orig scary painting on eBAY
From: Mick Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:53:45 -0500

Well done, Jason!!  What a great reply!

All the best,

Mick
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 12:50 PM
Subject: Seamus Ennis orig scary painting on eBAY

I am the artist of the unique Seamus Ennis painting. Here is the photo I
based the painting off of. I kinda think Seamus is a little scary in this
picture. Maaaaybe it's his ghost...

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/painting/photo_seamus.jpg

 I really like Seamus. I think he was a very eccentric and unique guy. When
I started playing the pipes in isolation for three years in Arizona before I
found more pipers. Seamus Ennis and the other eccentric pipers were people
to look up to and admire. I think the comments and critiques have been very
jolly. This seems a great way to get some activity going on the list. So I
encourage everyone to post their uilleann related art.

 I started this painting at 2am for kicks to practice painting in acrylics
since I have been painting with oil paints. The painting did turn out very
special due to my lack of skill with acrylic paint, so I figured heck why
not do some funky coloring since by now it was going on 5am. So with the
Seamus peat moss masterpiece finished later on. I decided what the heck,
throw it on Ebay and maybe make a few bucks. I figured it's like that ugly
stray dog that you find on the street and come to like. Maybe someone would
get some kind of pleasure from this painting and buy it. I set the buy it
now to $500 as a donation to my bagpipe drones fund :) Now if Seamus saw
this painting what would he think???? Maybe he was warning people what they
would become like if they became overly obsessed with the pipes. I am sure
many pipers including myself, regard their pipes as their "precious" just
like Gollum. Better keep an eye on Liam O'Flynn I heard he now has the
Seamus pipes. I was looking at Gollumn today and I kinda saw a vague
resemblance. See pics below -

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/painting/seamus.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/painting/gollumn2.bmp

Seamus definitely has Gollum's hands. They are the longest bony spindly
hands I can think of. Perfect for playing precious.

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/painting/seamusennispiper.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/painting/seamus_jeanrichie.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/painting/mt.bmp

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/painting/gollumn3.bmp

Well I gotta go practice my Precious while Seamus looks on.

Also check out the AZUPS pics from our Eric Olson workshop (see link below).
If you are ever in Arizona stop by, we are a small group but would love to
hear you play and share some tunes.

http://www.geocities.com/bzzzzzt1111/ericworkshop/ericworkshop.htm

Happy Piping,

- Jason