Subject: Re: Impeach George Bush
From: Richard Weltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:50:42 EST

In a message dated 3/11/2003 4:31:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> For starters - how about article 10 of the impeachment:
>
> 10) Violations and subversions of the Charter of the United Nations
> and international law in an attempt to commit with impunity crimes
> against peace and humanity and war crimes in wars and threats of
> aggression against Afghanistan, Iraq and others and usurping powers
> of the United Nations and the peoples of its nations [rest of similar
> blather snipped]

The Constitution of the United States, sensibly enough, takes no notice
whatsoever of the United Nations and makes no requirement that the permission
of any other nation or organization be obtained in order for the United
States to carry out its foreign policy or for the Commander-in-Chief to
discharge his responsibilities.

Should any others require clarification of similar misconstructions of the US
Constitution, law, and history, I will do my best to help out.

People may agree or disagree with the policies of Mr. Bush and his
administration; but I concur with those who have noted that this list is an
inappropriate forum for that kind of political debate. Nevertheless, as
Pandora's box has already been opened, I think it is legitimate and useful to
clarify -- especially since we have members from so many different countries
-- the factual and legal framework within which our government operates,
inasmuch as that seems to have been misconstrued rather liberally in some
quarters.

Cheers,

-- Dick