XML-L March 2003

Re: XML extraction tool

"B. Tommie Usdin" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:49:46 -0500

At 9:38 AM -0500 3/4/03, Dwight Agner wrote:
>I have taken over a project for my deceased boss. At one time he was trying to find an XML extraction
>tool for Quark on a Mac-based platform. HAs anyone know of, or had experiences with such tool(s)?

This is a partial, incomplete, and growing list of tools to get
content from Quark XPress to XML that we at Mulberry keep.
It reflects our experiences and personal biases and those
of the people we work for, work with, and talk to. We admit
that we have never even seen a few of these! This list,
and its categorizations, MUST NOT be taken as authoritative
or even accurate, URLs in particular, go out of date constantly.

I hope you find it useful.

-- Tommie

--------------------------------------
Company:    Apropos Toy & Tool Development
Product(s): RoustaboutXT, Roustabout, XPress XML
Web:        http://www.attd.com/xml/products.html.

Produces well-formed XML and does not use a DTD.
Uses configuration files to control the output,
and the config files are themselves XML! Both products
are scriptable and small programs can be written
to take care of repetitive tasks. Many compositors
are using this one to get into XPress from XML.

--------------------------------------
Company:    EasyPress (Avatar distributes in US)
Product(s): Atomik
Web:        http://www.atomik-xt.com

GUI interface; can use DTDs. Exports graphic files.
They feel that table export is one of their strengths
and they have written a table converter based on X and Y
coordinates not on XPress styles or tabs. Can support
different mappings by context. The import from XML into
Quark also looked good at Seybold SF 2002.

--------------------------------------
Company:    Extensis
Product(s): BeyondPress
Web:
   http://www.elementkjournals.com/qua/0012/qua00c1.htm
   http://www.extensis.com  (article)

An older (possibly outdated) product that you don't hear
much about anymore. The literature says that this product
goes to DHTML only. Does not work with XPress 5, but can
work nicely for export from older XPress to HTML.

--------------------------------------
Company:    Gluon
Product(s): WebXPress
Web:        http://www.gluon.com

Haven't seen this one.

--------------------------------------
Company:    Noonetime
Product(s): Xtract and others
Web:        http://www.noonetime.com

GUI interface. Can produce well-formed files without
a DTD. Literature claims round tripping. Can support
different mappings by context.

--------------------------------------
Company:    North Atlantic Publishing Systems
Product(s): NTS
Web:        http://www.napsys.com.

GUI interface; can use DTDs. Exports graphic files and
converts tables based on tab-delimited cells. Can support
different mappings by context.

--------------------------------------
Company:    PCI (Publishing Connections, Inc.)
Product(s): iCPS (Internet Content Publishing Suite)
Web:        http://www.pcipage.com

GUI interface; can use DTDs. (Look for these folks
in the Modulo booth at shows) This is one of the
older, more stable products and companies.

--------------------------------------
Company:    Quark, with QuarkXPress release 5.0
Product(s): Plug-in: avenue.quark
Web:        http://www.quark.com/products/avenue.quark/overview.html
http://www.quark.com/products/avenue.quark/xtensions/avenuext.html

Uses XPress's GUI interface. Requires a DTD for export and
produces valid files. DTD needed for import, but your document
need not follow the DTD strictly. Does not export graphics with
the XML (2002); table handling poor.

Warning: This is a very complicated product! Do not try avenue.quark
without training, in both the product and XML.

Company:    Worldweb.net
Product(s): Expressroom I/O
Web:        http://www.worldweb.net

Haven't seen this one.

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:[log in to unmask]