Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject:Re: Corco Duibne (was: Líadain & Cuirithir 1)
From: Tom Pullman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:31:10 +0000

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, David Stifter wrote:

> > Líadain ben do Chorco Duibne .i. banéces.
> Corco Duibne is the name of a barony in Co. Kerry, anglicised
> Corkaguiney. Is this name still used today? DIL C 477.66 says that
> Corcu/o may be a petrified or of corce (yo, m) "oats".

It's now known in English as the Dingle Peninsula, from the town of Dingle
(An Daingean/Daingean Uí Chúise), which is situated on it. Its western end
is still a strongly Irish-speaking area.

How would an oblique case of a word meaning "oats" come to have the modern
meaning "race, offspring"?

Tom Pullman			¦
Gonville and Caius College	¦	 Whenever I speak Tlingit
Cambridge CB2 1TA		¦	I can still taste the soap