AFRIK-IT March 2003

Web site funding models

"Laxton, John L" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:19:33 -0000

At present I am working with the Geological Surveys in various developing
countries in assisting them to harness IT to help them fulfill their roles.
The development of a web site to raise awareness of the services they offer
and data they hold is an important aspect of this for many surveys. Ideally
this would lead to their producing metadata about their data holdings and
making this available on-line. However a key problem for many of them is the
sustainability of such systems. There are various funding agencies that will
assist with the development of the web site in the first instance, but most
funding bodies expect the site to then be financially sustainable.

Clearly different funding models will be appropriate for different
organisations, with the best guide being what has worked elsewhere. I was
wondering if anyone is aware of any examples of web site funding models that
have been used successfully, information sources on different funding
models, or organisations I could approach who might have such information?

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

John Laxton

John Laxton
British Geological Survey
Murchison House
West Mains Rd
Edinburgh, EH9 3LA
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)131 667 1000
Fax: +44 (0)131 668 1535
email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: www.bgs.ac.uk
Internet Shop: www.thebgs.co.uk

This  e-mail   message,  and  any  files  transmitted   with  it, are
confidential  and intended  solely for the  use of the  addressee. If
this message was not addressed to  you, you have received it in error
and any  copying,  distribution  or  other use  of any part  of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not  necessarily represent  those of the British
Geological  Survey. The  security of e-mail  communication  cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS  accepts no liability  for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the
BGS. The BGS cannot accept any responsibility  for viruses, so please
scan all attachments.                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk