Subject: Concepts in marking up book data
From: M V <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:31:44 -0500

Earlier today I asked a question on XSL-L about transforming page breaks
into a page-based hierarchy in some book data in XML that I have.  I started
thing about that issue more and now I'm looking for some discussions, white
papers, standards, etc. on approaches to marking up book data.  Where should
I start?

While I know of DocBook as one standard, and someone recently mentioned TEI
to me, I'm also interested in some general discussions on what I guess I
would call standard practices and their merits and drawbacks.

Based on a couple of current XML samples of book data I've seen, some
general topics come to mind:

1) Should the hierarchy be centered on chapters/sub-sections or pages?  Can
it/should it be both?  Some of the XML I currently have is
chapter/sub-section based with a nested DIV stucture and self-closing page
tags to signal breaks, and I'm finding it difficult to transform.

2) For footnote/endnote references, where should the actual note data be
stored?  With the reference?  At the end of the chapter/sub-section?  At the
end of the book?

3) Should I follow a standard when including metadata in the XML file?
Should it be ONIX, Dublin Core, or something else?

And the list goes on...

I know some of these and the many other questions depend on the specific
purpose of the XML file.  In my specific case, two known purposes are
archival and for online display -- admittedly quite different.  But that's
why I'm trying to get a grasp on basic issues first.

Thanks in advance,
Mattio