Subject: Re: Condensation
From: Hrant H Papazian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:36:51 -0800

From:    Jorge de Buen
> It is a good idea for the font suppliers to provide
> a set of numbers about the fonts they sale

Yes, great idea.

But there is a complication: since fonts are used to set
language (and not character sets!), you'd need to account
for that. For example, in English an "e" contributes much
more to the set-width of a font than a "j".

>      C f
> L = -----
>      P R

> P = sum of paragraphs

It's not really the sum of paragraphs, but the *proportion*
of paragraph breaks with respect to number of characters.

The damping that paragraph breaks provide is elusive.

> we wouldn't need to have the actual fonts
> to test their performances.

Yes, that's the key benefit.