Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Susatoes
From: Lee Thompson-Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:49:53 -0800

Paul Mulvaney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >quoth Lee Thompson-Herbert: <[log in to unmask]>
> >I have found that the intonation on the Susato whistles to be a little >on
> >the flat side, in general.  >You really have to blow them into tune >in the
> >upper registers.
>
> This is true of all cylindrical-bore aerophones, the upper register is flat;
> hence, we have conical-bore flutes. Apart from that, the Kellischek Susato
> is one great whistle for $15, although a bit loud for a novice --- and is
> the model, I'm told, for the development of all those beautiful wooden
> whistles made by Chris Abel, and thusly, by Skip Healy and Gary Hudson.  --

I wasn't clear.  _More_ out of tune than some of the cylindrical bore
whistles.  My O'Riordan is cylindrical bore as well, but it isn't _that_
nasty sounding.  Playing with a fixed-pitch instrument all the time really
points out faults in intonation.  And I could be noticing it more because
every player in the area owns at least one Susato.  The mold might be okay,
but some of the whistles turned out are really bad.  And we've noticed that
leaving one in your car is an almost surefire way to kill it.  The plastic
melts.

Lee M.Thompson-Herbert        [log in to unmask]           KoX 1995, SP4
Head Muso, White Rats Morris, Faultline Morris
Member, Knights of Xenu (1995).  Chaos Monger and Jill of All Trades.
"A head-on collision between Morticia Adams and Martha Stewart"