Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: "Sweet" traditional music
From: Michael Keyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:47:32 -0600

Kerr, John V. Jr. wrote:

>Dennis J. Gormley wrote:
>

>>"In 2001, the average person here ingested no less than 28
>>pounds of chocolate.
>>That means chowing down about 254 bars of chocolate weighing
>>about 2 ounces.
>>By comparison, Americans consumed a pathetic 10 pounds.
>>

>I wonder how they determined how much chocolate that the average person in
>each of these countries was ingesting? Probably by looking at the total
>amount of chocolate sold in the country during the year, and then dividing
>it by the country's population. If this is what they did, then their method
>is flawed. They would need to subtract out all the chocolate sold in Shannon
>and Dublin Airport duty free shops, most of which is not consumed in
>Ireland, and also somehow factor out all the chocolate sold to tourists and
>consumed by them during their stay. One could argue that the tourism factor
>is at play in America too, and indeed it may be - but not at the scale it is
>in Ireland. Ireland has a popultaion of 4 or 5 million people, America has
>some 250 million. The ratio of tourists to general population would be much,
>much higher in Ireland than it is in America.
>
>So, do the Irish consume more chocolate per capita than Americans? Maybe.
>But do the Irish consume 2.8 times as much chocolate per capita as
>Americans? Probably not. But that's not as catchy a sound bite, is it?
>
>John Kerr
>
>(Okay, this exchange was totally off-topic. But I bet I won't get flamed for
>it - unless I stick a "Viva France, Germany and Russia" tag on it. Right,
>Doug?)

I will do my best to increase the American per capita chocolate intake
although I was one of those tourists in Ireland recently and have to
admit I did my best to increase the Irish per capita, also.  Although
there is no Trad content whatsoever in my remarks, I need to point out
for those of us brought up in the Catholic school system that in
addition to the 7 Aquanian proofs for the existence of God (infinity,
etc) that the existence of chocolate is the eighth indisputable proof
that a supreme being must exist as only God could invent chocolate.  It
think that the monks of 9th century Ireland came up with this one and it
is in Cahill's book.  I could be wrong, however <G>

Michael Keyes