Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Algae Smell Summary
From: Kai Hoppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:45:16 +0100

Dear all,

thanks to everyone who answered my question about nice smelling algae.
Four minutes after posting I had two replies, three day later 19, most
of them very helpful. I just love the ALGAE-L list, Mike (and everyone
who helps running it) is a hero!

Anyway, I wanted to post a short summary (btw, I also love summaries
and suggest everyone should post summaries to the more general interest
questions here). If you like more info, please contact me directly.

The recommendations include:

Porphyra and Palmaria               (now that is too easy)
pheromones of brown algae, esp. sperm of Ascophyllum nodosum
synurophytes (Synura, Mallomonas) have a watermelon-like smell
Himanthalia elongata smells of rhubarb
Laurencia and Osmundea have a distinctive 'sea breeze' smell
Asparagopsis
Osmundea spectabilis harbors a 'new car' smell       (maybe for Michael
Schuhmacher)
Prionitus also has distinct smell like Chlorine             (great for
swimming pools)
Chlorodesmis caespitosa has a distinctive bitter smell
Furcellaria
Dictyopteris polypodoioides (= Dictyopteris membranacea)
Trentepohlia odorata and Delisea pulchra  smell of violets
Chondria
Chondrococcus harnemanii
Chrysophytes ("spicy" smells) and diatoms ("balsamic" smells)
diatoms have a floral scent derived from breakdown of cell PUFAs,
e.g. Asterionella formosa which produces octatriene

However, not all of these smells are really suited for perfumes, or, as
Brian Wysor wrote:

..  None of these smells strike me as something I would want to wear or
smell on someone else, unless perhaps you were trying to keep, say,
amphipods off of you.  :)

Cheers from Northern Germany,
Kai

Kai Hoppe
CRM Coastal Research & Management
Tiessenkai 12
D-24159 Kiel
Germany

www.crm-online.de

This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask] You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text. If you have further difficulty please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since1995 can be found at
http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l