Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Looking for ABCs: Cahir's Kitchen, The Maple Leaf
From: Darach de Brun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:51:50 +0000

 Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<
<  Darach,
<
<  I would love to have the notes for this tune.  I first encountered it in a
<  tune book by Gordon Tyrall, but would love to have it from the horse's mouth
<  so to speak.  I play flute, whistle, and fiddle, however, the tune sits so
<  well on the wind instruments, I have never tried to play it on fiddle.  Was
<  the tune composed with whistle or flute in mind?  Thanks in advance for the
<  information.
<
<  Kelly Crumpley

Hello Kelly,
Both of these tunes "The Maple Leaf" and the "Man of Aran" were written in 1976, by coincidence both for weddings. The Maple Leaf I wrote for myself and my wife for our own wedding. We had our reception in a hotel called "The Maples", hence the name. The Man of Aran was written for a friend of mine, Tommy Walsh and his wife Zoie, and likewise he had his wedding reception in a hotel in Dublin called The Man of Aran. It was my wife who suggested putting the tunes together as a set, and the rest is history. Tommy Walsh is the composer of that lovely slow tune Inis Thoir (Inisheer) you might know. At the time I was playing tin whistle. I still do a lot but I have moved on the Uilleann Pipes and am still composing tunes. I am up to about 50 now. I have these tunes written out as I composed them so if you send me your land mail address I will forward them to you.
Slan go foill,
Darach de Brun.
<
<  ----------
<  >From: Darach de Brun <[log in to unmask]>
<  >To: [log in to unmask]
<  >Date: Tue, Jan 28, 2003, 7:05 AM
<  >
<
<  > Hello Niall,
<  > I was just browsing through the files and came across your request for the
<  > Maple Leaf. My name is Darach de Brun and I comosed this tune. I you still
<  > need the notes I will gladl send them to you. Just post me you mailing
<  > address. There is a version of it on Henry Norbeck's site. Good Luck and
<  > thanks for liking the tune.
<  >
<  > Darach.
<