Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: translation help, please
From: Karen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:04:38 -0500

A h-uile!

Still reading "Deireadh an Fhoghair" and still coming across the
occasional sentence I simply can't deal with.
In this case, the two old men have been discussing a time when a
man died and the grandfather of one of them helped carry the body
to the churchyard. One asks,
"Nach deach e fo ghuu\lain trup? A's a' Gharadh Dhubh?"
"Cha b'ann ach air Rathad Aonghais 'Ic Dhomnhaill -- goirid mas do
bha\saich an Galisean."
"Chaidh 's a's a Gharadh Dhubh."
"Cha chreid m gu-ta\... seadh..."
"Chaidh ... tha cuimhn agam-fhi\n air a' bruidhinn air -- cuideam
eagallach a's a' chiste, chaidh 'ad am bogadh leatha aig Bla\r a'
Chiop Dhuibh ..."
"Cha chuala mi 'n te/ sin a riamh aige ... co-diu\bh, cha robh
taobh a dheidheadh e nach biodh rudeigin ..."
"Bhiodh 'ad ag radh nach do dh'innis e riamh sgeulachd gun na h-
uidhir a chuir rithe."
"Bhiodh ... 's bheireadh e chreids' rud sam bith ort ... ach a
dh'aindeoin sin, b'fhiach e/isdeachd ris."

I've translated this as:
"Didn't he go with the body's escort? To the Black Dyke?"
"It was only on Aonghais 'Ic Dhomnhnaill Road -- short if you die
in Glaisean."
"They went to the Black Dyke."
"I don't believe so ... No."
"Yes. I can remember him talking about it -- the terrible burden
in the box (coffin), they went along the mire with it to Bla\r a'
Chiop Dhuibh (Black Stump Field)."
"I never heard a thing about it from him ... however,
--------------"
"They used to say that he never told a story without adding a lot
to it."
"Yes, and he would load anything he be;ieved onto you ... but it
was worth the hearing in spite of that."

As you see, I have no idea what "cha robh taobh a dheidheadh e
nach biodh rudeigin" means. Partly because I can't find a meaning
for "deidheadh" besides "tootache" which doesn't seem to fit,
though maybe "cha robh taobh" means "it wasn't quite", and if
"deidheadh" is used figuratively, "it wasn't quite his problem"?
But then the rest of the sentence throws me: "that wouldn't be
something"?

Any help would be appreciated!

Karen

http://users.erols.com/kmdavis/
http://sithkitten.slashcity.net/~kmdavis/

"It only looks like a mess to the uninitiated."
"Oh? Then why don't you enlighten us?"
"Enlighten you? Okay: the Divine is good, don't do flash,
 and if you're good to people they probably still won't be
 nice to you."
 -- Seamus Zelazny Harper (and Beka Valentine)

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]