Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: The Gaelic-English dictionary
From: Michael Everson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:09:15 +0000

>From:    Colin Mark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Am Faclair Gaidhlig-Beurla
>
>I appreciate what you are saying, Michael, but I must make it clear that I
>am extremely pleased with Routledge. They have made a very fine job of this
>publication. It is a quality product, as, I'm sure Gobnait will agree.

Of that I have no doubt, and I am looking forward to getting my copy.
Of course you remember that I typeset a sample draft of the letter
"E" for you in January 1999, when it was thought that it could be
co-published by the Irish company with which I was formerly
associated and by Curzon. That didn't happen, and I remember talk of
two Canadian companies.... It is a very great thing that your book
has been published at long last.

My dismay at the cost isn't about my own pocket, which can afford the
book easily enough. I was thinking of schools, students, households,
you know, ordinary folk who need a modern dictionary. Speakers of
minority languages have troubles enough without the books being
expensive. (The English-Cornish Dictionary, by the way, to answer
somebody's question, was GBP 28 hardcover.)

So I hope that Routledge or some other publisher will offer it in
less expensive editions in the years to come.

In the meantime, as I'll be in London till Saturday, I shall see
about picking it up in Blackwells or Foyles. (I hope it is there!)

>I am proud to think that there will be copies of this in The British
>Library, The Bodleian Library, Oxford, The University Library, Cambridge,
>The National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, The Library of Trinity College,
>Dublin, The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.

There are a number of other Libraries in Ireland which would benefit
from a copy. University Colleges Cork, Galway, and Dublin, for
instance.

>I don't know what happens in the U.S. - The Library of Congress?? It's
>catalogued there anyway.

Yes, that's the deposit library for the U.S. Has a copy been sent
there? I have a friend there who is passionate about dictionaries who
will want to have a look at it!