Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  January 2003

AFRIK-IT January 2003

Two Jobs in ICTs and Development at Manchester

Dr Richard Heeks <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:39:45 +0000

IDPM, at the University of Manchester (UK), is seeking two
information systems lecturers.

We particularly seek applicants taking an information
systems/social science approach to one or more of: e-
development, e-government, e-business for development, e-
learning in development organisations.

Brief details are given below.  Fuller details are available at:
http://www.man.ac.uk/news/vacancies/academic.html#041

IDPM (http://idpm.man.ac.uk) is a multi-disciplinary,
postgraduate-only department of sixty staff focusing on
international development and management.

IDPM's Information Systems group:
- consists of four IS academic staff plus six PhD researchers.

- runs a growing MSc on Management and Information
Systems, and provides modules on related management and
development Masters.  Our teaching was rated at the highest
level (24) in UK teaching quality assessment.

- is undertaking six funded research projects totalling over
400,000 in four main areas: information, technology and
socio-economic development; e-government (including work
on public agencies and NGOs); e-business for development
(mainly e-commerce); e-learning and knowledge in
development organisations.  Our research was rated at the top
level (5) in the UK research assessment exercise.

- is active in consultancy work for national governments and
international agencies.

Our requirement is for two additional members of staff to help
us meet growing levels of demand:
- Numbers on our MSc programme are growing by >50% per
year.
- PhD numbers are growing by >50% per year.
- Research funding proposals worth 250,000 are currently
under consideration.
- Demand for our consultancy services exceeds supply
capacity.

The successful candidates should ideally: be educated to
Masters level or above in a relevant topic; have a track record
of information systems teaching; have a track record of
research and publication in information systems; be familiar
with the realities of implementing and managing computerised
information systems; have direct experience of information
systems in developing/transitional economies through
development, use or research into such systems; approach IS
teaching and research from a socio-technical rather than
technical standpoint; be capable of undertaking relevant
consultancy assignments; and have a flexible, innovative and
customer-focused approach to their work.  The candidates
chosen will be those who match most closely the overall
requirements of the post, but they must have a demonstrable
commitment to teaching and research excellence.

Current pay scales for the work run from 22,191 to 33,679.
Employment at IDPM provides strong job satisfaction.  Our IS
work has a global research and teaching reputation; we
integrate theoretical ideas with real-world issues of importance
to international development; we interact daily with mature
postgraduate students from all continents; our thirty support
staff provide high levels of assistance; and we will help you to
identify and develop personal interests and priorities within our
remit.  IDPM also prides itself on providing a friendly and
supportive multi-disciplinary environment to both our clients
and our staff.

Formal application packs and further particulars can be
obtained from:
http://www.man.ac.uk/news/vacancies/academic.html#041

Informal questions about these posts can be made to Dr
Richard Heeks: [log in to unmask]

The closing date for receipt of applications by the University's
Personnel Office is 19 February 2003.

Dr Richard Heeks
Senior Lecturer, Information Systems & Development
Institute for Development Policy & Management
University of Manchester
Precinct Centre
Manchester  M13 9GH  U.K.

Phone: +44-161-275-2870  Fax: +44-161-273-8829
Email: [log in to unmask]
IDPM Web: http://www.man.ac.uk/idpm