OLD-IRISH-L December 2002

dark fairy tales

Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Dec 2002 12:11:01 -0800

Léigh mé alt suimiúil ar an NYTimes ar maidin faoi sheanchas is
finscéalta:

"Into the Woods, Children, for Dark Mysteries, Not Simple Lessons"

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/arts/07CONN.html

Cúpla sliocht as, ach molaim daoibh an t-alt go léir a léamh:

"There is a pagan bluntness in many fairy tales that resists the
traditional religious moral and its contemporary counterpart,
the political homily."

"It is the knowledge offered by the Greek myths. And it is as
shocking to adults as it is to children, which is why it is so
often avoided, even in current times. This is who we are, these
tales insist — ravenous and flawed beings. This is where we live
— in a dark world of little light. And there is no way to avoid
its threats or escape the battles they entail."

"This dark knowledge becomes palatable partly because each tale
also promises utopian happiness. The Beast becomes human;
Cinderella becomes queen. But there is no forgetting what is
already known. So what happens if Rapunzel dies and a stepmother
raises her children? Or after Snow White loses her beauty?"

"We know what happens next. We live it."

Is léir gur faoi anáil an leabhair nua _The Annotated Classic
Fairy Tales_ le Maria Tatar a scríobh Edward Rothstein an t-alt
seo.

Is iad na focail "ravenous and flawed beings" a chuir scéal ónár
dtraidisiún féin i gcuimhne dom, scéal darb ainm "Aided Lugdach
ocus Derbforgaille" ar léigh mé cuid de inné.

Seo agaibh cuid den scéal sin, san aistriúchán a rinne Carl
Marstrander beagnach céad bliain ó shin, in Ériu 5 (1911):

On a certain day at the end of winter there was deep snow.
The men make great pillars of the snow [phallic?]. The
women went up on the pillars. This was their device. 'Let
us make our water upon the pillars to see which will enter
the farthest. The woman from whom it will enter, she is
the best of us to keep.'* However it did not reach through
from them. Derbforaill is called by them. She did not like
it, because she was not foolish. Nevertheless she goes on
the pillar and it poured from her to the ground.

'If the men knew of this, no woman would be loved in comparison
with this one. Let her eyes be taken from her head, and her
nose, and her two ears and her locks. She will not be
desirable then.' She is tortured in this way and afterwards
brought to her house.'

* Níl mé sásta le haistriúchán na habairte seo, "In ben o ría
triit isí as ferr congaib úan."

Dennis