Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Humor, Decency and intelligence in Irish Trad Music List
From: Doug Huggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:46:52 EST

In a message dated 12/18/2002 5:16:52 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
> Good to know there are at least some decent,intelligent people on the

(Smiling)  There you go again...!
So, free speech is a wonderful thing, as long as they all, always, agree with
with you?  <GRIN>  Twas ever thus with liberals; preach tolerance, and
tolerate no facts or opinions contrary to your philosophy.  ;-)
Ladies and Gentlemen please, first, get a sense of Humor, and then, get a
life...I put a little political satire couched in an Irish song lyric in
front of you and a few of you try to demonize me.   If your particular
liberal ideology can't compete in the free marketplace of ideas, you must try
to shout down all the other alternatives, and if you can't attack the fact or
the idea, you attack the man. Anyone whose opinion differs from yours is
neither intelligent nor decent?  Sounds like a bit of intellectual laziness
mixed with an arrogance born of an inferiority complex, and a whole lot of
intolerance.

The most decent, intelligent comments I've heard lately were Sarah's very
apropos and conciliatory comment and Judd's wry humour:

<<tho' our politics may divide us, our music unites us.
thank God for it and all the good work it does in helping us listen to each
other.
play on!
; )
Sarah>>

<<Different message>>:

<<I resent this gross, sweeping generalization. I play ITM, and I am neither
intelligent nor well informed. I also know many other players who are not.

regards
Judd>>

And Gregor, to answer your question, (when the terrorists destroyed the
twin-towers? Where were the Neanderthals?),  the REAL Neanderthals were
flying the planes and slitting stewardesses' and pilots' throats.  And
everyone knows what became of the real Neanderthals...they're extinct.
<GRIN>

A Blessed Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukkah, Joyful Kwanzaa, Blessed Eid,
(forgive me, I don't know the Buddhist, Taoist, Confucian, Shamanistic, or
Shinto holidays, and I used to know but have forgotten the Hindu holiday, but
best wishes to each and all there too), and a peaceful, prosperous and happy
new year to all men (and womyn) of good will....  Is there an Atheist
Holiday?  <grin>

My holiday wish is for Champagne for all our True friends, and True pain for
all our Sham friends!  (Smile, it's a joke.)

Let the Music play!

<<Grinning all the way!>>
Doug Huggins