Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: SV: ITM and Australian TM ?
From: Johnson Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:58:58 +0100

        "But while these Scots were in Nova Scotia, they interacted and
inbred with Acadians who later ended up in Louisiana, where they
interacted and inbred with Africans who were also in Louisiana. The
result? Cajun music,which although it has similarities to Scots and Cape
Breton and Appalachian music is nevertheless, um, different" sez John V.
Kerr

I think you mean Zydeco, a mixture of Blues and Cajun,not quite the same
as plain Cajun music. I think the French who ended up in Louisiana and
became Cajuns pretty much kept to themselves, and didn't get that
friendly with other ethnic groups, although I could be wrong. The great
box player & singer Amede Ardoin was beat up so bad after accepting a
handkerchief to wipe his forehead, from a white female at a dance he
played at, that he spent the remaining years of his life in a mental
hospital. There's an interesting documentary with Aly Bain among the
Cajuns, and it looks like the Cajuns & Afro-Americans keep pretty much
to their own ethnic groups at least nowadays. Les Blank also made some
interesting documentaries about Cajun music in the 1970's

Thomas Johnson