Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Immigrant/Emigrant
From: Doug Huggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:31:14 EST

I had always assumed an immigrant was one incoming, and an emigrant was one
outgoing, so someone in Ireland would refer to those emigrating out, those in
the US or Canada (or other places) would refer to those immigrating into
thier country.  My old dictionary backs this up, im- indicating into, em-
indicating out of.   Or did I miss the jist of the question?