Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: young tunes->what was there before ?
From: Gregor Griegoleit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:04:37 EST

In einer eMail vom 15.12.02 17:50:44 (MEZ) Mitteleuropäische Zeit schreibt

> And I suppose some
>  song airs could be older than the dance tunes, but AFAIK there aren't
>  many tunes of any kind documented before the 18th century

    I can only recommend Aloys Fleischmann`s somehow neglected collection of
"Sources of Irish Traditional Music; ca.1600-1855", two volumes, 1400 pages,
and quite expensive; edited 1998, six years after Fleischmann`s death, by
co-editor Mícheál ÓSúilleabháin and associate-editor Paul McGettrick. I am
especially glad to have got these fantastic books, as they include such fine
collections as "O'Farrell's Collection of National Irish Music for the Union
Pipes" from 1804!
    Is there a ban on this book or has it been put on the index? Nobody on
this list ever mentions it.

Gregor