Subject: Brittany Spears
From: Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:47:57 -0800

>It's really a matter of functionality: when a font is so
>versatile that Isuzu (as well as designers of movie posters
>and book covers) can misuse it, it unavoidably becomes less
>focused. Trajan would have best been used to convey "Roman",
>but now it simply can't - and in fact as a result that entire
>"voice" is lost to us. With so many fonts out there, focus is
>more valuable.

The problem I see is not damage to Trajan (the typeface or emperor)
but the pathetic comment it makes on advertising designers whose only
hope for typographic distinction is choosing a typeface that is
somehow "eccentric."

"Let's see. Keedy Sans is out of style so what would say 'I'm mad as
hell and I'm not going to use Times!'?"

I don't get it, Hrant. I thought that you of all people understood
that letters (thus typefaces) are tools. Tools should be as
specialized as they need to be to do their jobs well but not
specialized for the sake of specialization. Should screwdriver makers
really try to stop people from opening paint cans?

Gunnar
--
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
536 South Catalina Street