Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Back of the Haggard
From: Fred McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Nov 2002 04:27:07 EST

Andrew Kuntz wrote

>"Back of the Haggard" is the title for a hornpipe apparently first printed by
> O'Neill. Does anyone know what it refers to?

There is a jig called Back of the Haggart in Volume 5 of Topic's Voice of the
People series: Come all my Lads that Follow the Plough. TSCD 655. I do not
know if it is connected with any of the titles Andrew refers to.

Back of the Haggart was recorded in New York in March 1928 by the Hyde
Brothers, about whom nothing seems to be known. According to Reg Hall's
notes, a haggard refers to the end of the farm yard which is farthest from
the house.

Fred McCormick