Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Re: jig rhythms &dancers (long)

Don Schuirmann <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:59:38 +0000

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:03:55 -0500, Philippe Varlet <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>At 12:05 AM 11/02/2002 -0600, Jesse Meredith wrote:
>>1) Single Jigs are also known as "Hop Jigs" (because they are supposed to
...<snip>...
>Oh my... Hop Jigs are a type of Slip Jig (9/8), therefore are different
>from Single Jigs in meter, but have a similar rhythmic pattern, i.e., the
>long-short (1/4 note - 1/8 note) instead of the triplet of 1/8 notes.
...<snip>...

Philippe, you know that, and I know that, and what is more, An Coimisiun le
Rinci/ Gaelacha knows that! On page 2 (in my edition, at any rate) of
their official handbook, A/r Rinncidhe Foirne, they state:

   "The Slip or Hop Jig - seldom found in the dance music of any other
    country - is in nine-eight time."

But Irish Dance schools (at least the ones in North America) are quite
persistent in using the term "hop jig" to refer to the Single Jig (the
dance, danced to single jigs, the tunes.) It's the Humpty Dumpty effect -
words ("hop jig" in this case) mean exactly what they choose them to mean.

Don Schuirmann