Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Re: Accompaniment and Other Irritants.

Jay Hardy <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:38:49 -0500

It may further horrify you to know that some of the recordings you mention have
been "enhanced" with reverb or other sonic treatments -- including field
recordings. The process of recording music changes it fundamentally. The
dynamics of introducing a microphone -- in a studio or in someone's living room
-- changes the dynamics and the process fundamentally. The judicious use of
sonic treatments -- like reverb -- make a recoding more coherent and
listenable. I suggest you make a recording, listen to it without any effects
and with tastefully apply and subtle sonic enhancements and you will hear no
artifacts (as has been mentioned in some horrendous post production excesses on
wonderful performances). I am very conservative in my musical tastses, but that
doesn't mean I embrace a "luddite" approach to the process of documenting great
performances. If sonic enhancements add to the perfroamnce, bring them on.

BTW -- I'm a great believer inletting the performer decide. That's why I've
mixed recordings dry at the request of performers, only to have them remix with
effects. If they want to leave a good performance, sounding incoherent, all I
ask is for a disclaimer on the CD jacket.

-- Jay Hardy
Capelhouse