AFRIK-IT November 2002

Re: Mozambique

Brian Longwe <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:02:37 -0800

FYI - The Mozambique Internet Exchange went live in May of this year with 5 ISPs initially peering. This IXP is hosted by the University (UEM) in their Computer Faculty.

During an IX workshop I conducted there in July, another 2 ISPs were in the process of getting hooked up. The exchange so far is quite a success.

check out: http://www.mozix.org.mz

You're right about the quality and improved Internet speeds at the University. The exchange has also cultivated a lot of interest from the student community and a number of the computer/engineering students have conducted studies on Internet traffic exchange in general. This is quite remarkable because this has been an area where there has been a severe lack of knowledge/clue on the continent.

Regards,

Brian