Subject: Re: Faux letterpress
From: Bill Tozier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:23:41 -0400

On Friday, Oct 18, 2002, at 02:23 America/Detroit, Gerald Lange wrote:

> ...They seemingly work well for letterpress not
> because letterpress is
>
> But by look of letterpress I am not referring to your perception,
> which is
> just bad work. Lot of bad work in digital typography as well, no?

Not my perception, but rather my goal. I aim specifically to emulate
*bad* typesetting -- it is a pastiche, in the end, of course. No
offense implied to any actual typographers, merely the archetypal worst
of them.

To put the piece in context, I also sketched out a subsequent project,
informed by the same sensibilities: a [pastiche of a] two-page layout
from a Chamber of Commerce tourist newspaper published in a fictional
small town in the mid-Atlantic US c. 1994. Aside from the advertising
cuts that would need to be custom-made for that one, and the map of a
fictional town (or perhaps state park) to lay out, I'd also want to
capture the sense of somebody using the original base 31 Mac fonts "in
the style of the day" in PM 2.0. Bad work, as well, but reflection can
be of use now and then.

best,
Bill
-----
Bill Tozier

"Yelling in key for 2 1/2 hours five nights a week can be hard."
   -- James Hetfield of Metallica