Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Immacallam 87
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:13:55 +0200

Variae lectiones:

> § 163
> Echtraid cath,
> * War outs itself,
>
> .i. regait ass na catha.
> * That means, wars will go away.

Except for l, all other MSS have echtrad cath "the outing of wars" in the main line. Since this makes more sense in combination with the plural regait (vel sim.) in the gloss,
I am inclined to take the verbal noun echtrad as the original reading.

The 3rd pl. future regait in the gloss is remarkable in so far, as in Middle Irish the usual form seems to have been ragaid with the vowel of the first syllable assimilated.
Indeed, all other MSS have ragait (or variants), only L has regait and T5 (+ Z) has rechait, which looks like a compromise between OIr. regait and MIr. rachait.

The i-MSS (= A, E, T2) add the gloss ".i. tidnacul 7 trebtha". I am not sure what this means. Literally it would be "bestowing and habitations/ploughings".

> § 164
> Cách dia cheird,
> * Every one to his craft,
>
> .i. for a eladain ndligthech.
> * That means, to his lawful art.

There is some variation as to whether the MSS read cerd or ceird, but I don't think that this is of any relevance.

The h-MSS add the further gloss ".i. dluthfid cach fri/for a ce(i)rd" = "everyone will be close (will stick) to his craft". A and E have "fri a ceird", T2 and T4 have "for a ceird".

It is again remarkable that T5 doesn't have this additional gloss.

David