Subject: Re: MacOS sans custom keyboarding?
From: William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Oct 2002 17:00:37 -0400

Hrant asked:
>Is it true that the newer MacOSes no longer allow the creation
>of custom keyboard layouts?!

No.

>I used to do that stuff all the
>time with ResEdit,

However, one doesn't use ResEdit any longer.

FWIW, Google's, ``I feel lucky'' hit on `` mac os x custom keyboard layout''
is
http://wordherd.com/keyboards/

And of course, one could always try searching Apple's Tech Notes, where
one would find:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2056.html

>and have a collection of custom keyboards
>that I've always relied on for my non-Latin users...

Yeah, I've got a collection of .keymapping files on my NeXT Cube for
that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, instead of NeXT's spiffy Preferences module which allowed
a user to re-map their keyboard w/ an interactive graphcical tool and
control other preferences we got the Mac OS KeyCaps.

If you poke around, you'll find examples of re-worked layouts which
people've worked up by hand (the format is either the same or an XML
.plist, I forget)

Three cheers for backwards-compatibility which caters to the Mac-masses,
at the expense of better solutions / technology.

William
(who is eventually going to resolve to not respond to posts where the
querent doesn't describe their own efforts to search for what they're
asking after)