Re: The character "@" and gender studies...

Richard Weltz <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:21:38 EDT

In a message dated 10/26/2002 8:53:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> "LeserInnen" is shorter and less clumsy than "Leser und Leserinnen",
> and the crucial decision what to _speak_ it is left to the reader,
> just like with the spanish "@".

Ah, yes, then in English we could replace the traditional address form,
"Ladies and Gentlemen" with "[log in to unmask]" I can hardly wait to see it in print
or hear it from a podium. Progress!

Languages naturally change and evolve, generally through usage and common
acceptance. Forcing artificial and awkward changes to satisfy a social or
political agenda does not engage my support.

Theodore Roosevelt tried it once by Executive Order; Congress immediately
passed a law revoking the order; and many of the changes came into the
language anyway by natural evolution over time -- others never did.

-- Dick