Subject: Re: OS Advice (barely on-topic)
From: William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:50:08 -0400

I'd asked:
>> did you consider a TabletPC?

and Hrant replied:
>I don't know what that is - feel free to tell me.

Hrant, I listed two companies (Fujitsu and Mitsubishi) and one vendor w/
web address (www.infocater.com)---feel free to look it up, or try Googling.

Michael Everson then asked:
>I was unaware that the thread was dealing with pen-based input.

It wasn't until I introduced it. My initial point though is that going
with Apple limits one to a sole vendor (and this need not have been the
case if they'd chosen to keep NeXT's multi-platform architecture
productized), and that vendor's product lines, so Apple is fine as long
as one wants:

 - a funny looking tower w/ handles you can't stack much on
 - a desktop w/ two choices of LCD-screen size and minimal expandability
 - an integrated desktop w/ a CRT (your choice of two sizes)
 - a 1U rack server
 - or one of three sizes of traditional clam shell laptops w/ trackpad
(I prefer a trackpoint)

and there's a minimum of colour / style choices---white, graphite or titanium

>have never used one of those pads though I have often thought I would
>like to. *Is* there anything available that's suitable for the Mac OS?

As I noted, there's Wacom's Cintiq and Inkwell---which is okay unless
one has a desire to be mobile, or wants to do something other than print
(i.e., write in cursive / connected script and have it recognized).

As regards the Microsoft EULA / privacy issue:

>From:    Dave Nalle
>> Plus it lets Microsoft check your computer for valid licenses
>> remotely and rifle through everything else on your hard drive
>> at the same time.

>Is this an acadmic/ideological issue, or is this really happening?

It's in the EULA---there's an extract of it posted to:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/10/24.6.shtml

But it's only an issue if you choose to allow the OS to self-update
AFAIK. AIUI, it's still possible to manually apply downloaded patches
selectively (which I've always preferred anyway).

William