Re: Gaelic typefaces

Michael Everson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:45:43 +0100

At 16:41 +0200 2002-10-25, Matha agus Isabelle Standún wrote:

>What do you want me to say? Bravo and thanks for all the fonts I
>wish I could have bought?

You could try having a little compassion.

> > Ask whom?
>Not my problem, I would have imagined. And I hope you're not
>suggesting you're the only one ever to have come across the sort of
>problem you say you're having.

Frankly I have been having these problems for some time, and I have
mentioned it to others, and I have not had any help.

> > Other people are not generating fonts in Latin 8 encoding, which
> > appears to be the problem. (Only the Latin 1 letters are generated.)
>Other people have more customers

What are you trying to say, that I should generate Gaelic fonts in
Latin 1 encoding so I can have more customers? If that were the case,
then my fonts would be inauthentic and useless for Irish. If people
want inauthentic and useless fonts they can use American Uncial. I
won't make them.

I am perfectly well aware that I could have more customers and make
more money if these fonts were available on the Windows platform. I'm
really not that much of a fool. On the other hand, I am stuck with
the tools I have right now, and I don't have a solution.

> > I am doing the best I can, thank you very much, a Mhatha. It is easy
> > to criticize.
>As a frustrated customer, I haven't really got much choice, have I?

I feel worse than you do, believe me.
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * *