Subject: Re: High phonation
From: Michael Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:36:17 -0400

Rolf

> Michael, thanks for the explanation; but does it justify
> 'typog-raphy'? Evidently 'typography' is of Greek/Latin origin (from
> Medieval Latin typographia: Greek tupos, impression + Latin -graphia,
> -graphy). BTW, in German it is 'Typo-grafie'.

I'm not defending either system. Typog-rapher does seem odd, even alien
or just plain wrong, I'll grant you.  As a point of comparison, I used
to work in a department that produced a lot of legal texts. The editors
always carefully went through the proofs and changed defen-dant (as the
built-in hyphenation dictionary did it) to defend-ant. (I may have it
backwards, but in any event, one division was based on pronunciation and
the other on etymology, and whichever way they chose to do it struck me
as a bit affected.)

--
Michael Brady
http://www.unc.edu/~jbrady/index.html