Subject: Re: the @ sign, was (Jenson's ligatures)
From: Rodolfo Capeto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:16:37 -0300

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Gary Munch wrote:

> I interpret this as:
> Letters are artifacts of the human hand and mind; they depend on
> learned responses that are acquired differently from other responses;
> the responses aren't inherent in our makeup.
>
> The responses rely on the gimmick of learning cultural conventions
> that are part of a mutually-agreed-upon system of gimmicks. (For
> example, the gimmick of raising a stem to make n h, though they
> represent entirely different sounds;

But the fact that you do this in Fontographer doesn't mean the h
did evolve like that: you know it didn't ;)  OK, if we establish
that all human cultural conventions are gimmicks, let's fix this
as a base level, ignore it and move on to a level where we can
evaluate and critique specific letterforms, sign designs and
typefaces.  ;)