Subject: The rose of the name (way OT for those who monitor the subject line)
From: Michael Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:57:12 -0400

Dick

> A lawsuit was brought, and Taylor was prohibited from using his own name at
> all anywhere on his products. He actually changed the labels to read, "Name
> of winemaker available on request."

My understanding of how the dramatic industry works (movies, theater
plays, television, etc.) is that one registers his or her name or
pseudonym as an exclusive working name with the Screen Actors Guild, and
  some people may not use their own name because there is already
someone else with that name.

I don't know the whys and wherefores of this, and even whether it still
is in effect. I can't remember anyone who actually had a problem with it
(although I remember a small flap that made the papers back in the 80s
or so). Then there are rather funny conjunctions, though. The blonde
English woman Sammy Davis (or is it Sammi?), not to be confused with the
Jewish crooner and drinking buddy of Sinatra, Martin, Bishop, Lawford,
and friends.

--
Michael Brady
http://www.unc.edu/~jbrady/index.html