Re: What a ligatitous society!

Silver MayKitten <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:31:09 -0700

I went to my patent lawyer and he called the gentleman who sent the
letter from the Senior Concil's office, while I called Time-Warner
stockholder services. My understanding is the guy that sent me the
registered letter is now sending out resumes.

Also all expenses for my trip to Engand for the opening of the
Chamber of Secrets, and future Harry Potter movies will be paid by
WB for myself and seven friends, and I will see the movie with J K
Rowling's party. I will also get free DVD's of all the Harry Potter
Movies, as well as the LOTR series.

I call that a victory, allbeit a minor one.

MayKitten
--- Richard Weltz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In a message dated 9/5/2002 1:09:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > But less than an
> > hour ago I got a registered letter from their Copyright
> Management
> > Office, notifying me that proceedings are being undertaken
> against
> > me to recover damages for the apropriation of their copyrighted
> > name.
> >
> > OH! The joys of living in America. Gotta go, I ahve an
> appointment
> > with my patent lawyer.
> >

> Take heart, May. Under US Copyright Law (Title 17), a name is not
> eligible
> for copyright protection in the first place.
>
> While a name may be registered as a trademark, that is a very
> different
> kettle of fish; and it appears that you are on sound footing.
>
> Nevertheless, large corps with deep pockets have been known to
> threaten
> and/or sue even when they know they are dead wrong, because they
> know you
> can't afford to defend your rights. I hope your attorney is able
> to both
> assure you that you are in the right and find a way to protect
> you from what
> may be considerable harassment.
>
> -- Dick

=====