Re: Jenson's ligatures

ibbetson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:16:47 -0400

At 18:06 09-09-02 +0200, Rolf F. Rehe wrote:
>Now, now Hrant, you have a very creative mind, but it does run amok
>rather frequently. I see no reason to believe that reading German is
>slower than reading English. Here is an interesting observation
>though: when I translated one of my books (which I had originally
>written in English) into German, the text took up more space (= more
>lines) than the English version, not dramatically so, but
>significantly.

More space is notoriously also required for French than for English. As
many Canadian publications need to be bilingual this is an everyday problem
in this Northern Country.

A French text has more syllables to say something than the equivalent
English test. One result is that to an English-speaker French syllables
seem to be delivered at machine-gun speed, while French speakers feel that
English-speakers drawl. The two languages take the same time to say
something. This time is probably determined by the processing time required
by our brains.

David ib

David Ibbetson * 133 Wilton Street * Unit 506 * Toronto M5A 4A4
                     mailto:[log in to unmask]
Phone:(416)363-6692 Cel:(416)831-6692 Fax:(416)363-4987