Re: Jenson's ligatures

ibbetson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:16:47 -0400

At 18:06 09-09-02 +0200, Rolf F. Rehe wrote:
>Now, now Hrant, you have a very creative mind, but it does run amok
>rather frequently. I see no reason to believe that reading German is
>slower than reading English. Here is an interesting observation
>though: when I translated one of my books (which I had originally
>written in English) into German, the text took up more space (= more
>lines) than the English version, not dramatically so, but

More space is notoriously also required for French than for English. As
many Canadian publications need to be bilingual this is an everyday problem
in this Northern Country.

A French text has more syllables to say something than the equivalent
English test. One result is that to an English-speaker French syllables
seem to be delivered at machine-gun speed, while French speakers feel that
English-speakers drawl. The two languages take the same time to say
something. This time is probably determined by the processing time required
by our brains.

David ib

David Ibbetson * 133 Wilton Street * Unit 506 * Toronto M5A 4A4
                     mailto:[log in to unmask]
Phone:(416)363-6692 Cel:(416)831-6692 Fax:(416)363-4987