Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Immacallam 69
From: Hilaire Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:48:47 +0100

Dennis wrote:

>Given the subordinate status of the bards vis-à-vis
>the filid, it doesn't surprise me that the filid
>would choose to denigrate the bardic metres by calling
>them "brosna/-ae/-ach" -- mere kindling or sticks of
>firewood as opposed to serious construction timber.

'Bundles of kindling' gives me an image of the bundles of kindling laid at
the foot of the posts at Emain Macha to set them on fire... in a time when
fire was both vital and less easy to obtain than now, a time when it was
considered sacred and was a prime feature in high-profile ceremonies, would
bundles of kindling be 'mere kindling' as we might think of them today?
Perhaps they were small or insignificant in themselves but were the means to
light a greater fire of inspiration or knowledge, the tein fesa, that came
in later grades? (Remember in I2T 38 Néide saying  that he draws his skill
'Co teinm a tein' - With inspiration out of fire.)

Blessings,
Hilaire