Re: Immacallam 69

Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:34:08 -0700

Francine Nicholson wrote:

> Question: have any medieval Irish weapons been found
> having several heads with pointed tips?

Hello Francine & Friends,

Literature mentions such weapons, whether they actually
existed or not. In Táin Bó Fraích* we read about a
five-pointed spear with which Ailill nearly killed his
daughter:

   Dolléici a hathair sleig cóicrind dí anúas rout
   n-aurchora co lluid treda triliss, 7 condo ragaib
   Fróech inna láim in slig.

* Taking David's recent comments on pronunciation to heart,
I guess we should say something like /ta:n’ vo: vraix’/,
which would give us as a modern spelling Táin Bhó bhFraoich.

Dennis