Subject: Re: Representing pronunciation characters in XML
From: Lars Marius Garshol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:17:27 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

| Possible approaches:
|
|   1) Use an IPA keyboard layout and a properly Unicode-aware editor and
|      just type them in. Have the editor store your document as UTF-8 or
|      UTF-16, and all will be well.

* Chris von See

| Any recommendations for a "properly Unicode-aware editor" that would
| allow me to type combining characters?

What operating system? Also, do you want an XML editor, or just any
text editor?

It's not clear, BTW, that you actually need combining characters. If
you could say more about what characters you need it would be easier
to help.

* Lars Marius Garshol

|   2) Find the number of the character(s) you want, and encode them
|      according to the rules of UTF-8/16. With some programming
|      languages this really easy, while with others it can require a bit
|      more effort.

* Chris von See

| My understanding is that you can encode the combining character (the
| macron or breve) before or after the character it modifies.

Only after, and you need to use the "combining macron" or "combining
breve", rather than the usual characters.

| Does this still work if I use character references?

Yes. Character references are just one way to encode the characters.
If you write combining characters in a Unicode-aware text editor, that
editor is likely to combine the characters when displaying them, but
if you use character references it won't do that.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| What's the difference between 'o' and 'oo'? Knowing that would help. :)

* Chris von See

| I don't claim to be an expert on diacritics (yet, anyway), but the
| combination of "oo" and the macron signifies a different sound from
| the combination of the "o" and macron.

What does an 'oo' look like? Which character is it?